From: Dhruba Bandopadhyay <dhruba@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Caching service dependencies...
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:05:31
1 Norberto Bensa wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > there are at least FOUR ${SUBJECT} messages for every package emerged. Is this
5 > on purpose or it's a bug?
6 >
7 > $ emerge -V
8 > Portage 2.0.49-r13 (default-x86-1.4, gcc-3.3.1, glibc-2.3.2-r1, 2.4.23)
11 > Regards,
12 > Norberto
13
14 From </usr/share/doc/portage-2.0.49-r13/ChangeLog.gz> :
15
16 19 Sep 2003; Nicholas Jones <carpaski@g.o> portage.py: Unregister
17 signal handling after receiving the signal and resend the signal we got.
18 * Run depscan during env-update. Migrated eclass stuff into it's own pickle.
19 Code for moving /var/cache/edb/dep into a pickle for each category added
20 disabled via hardcoded value presently. Removed some try blocks in favor
21 of detecting the cause of an error first -- Hopefully gives a little speed
22 up. Cache fixes and useful output added. A tbz2 moving bug where an error
23 was printed about files the destination existing already is now fixed. The
24 dircache is cleared on every unmerge now, to ensure the cache does not
25 * interfere. bzip2 is spawned with the quiet flag now. Update list is sorted
26 for proper year/quarter order now. -arch isn't an invalid keywork anymore.
27 Generic pickle reading and writing functions added.
28
29 In short, yes it was deliberate. However, I find it incredibly strange that:
30
31 (1) depscan.sh was added into env-update
32 (2) env-update is now run four times on *every single emerge*
33 (3) env-update now takes even longer to run
34 (4) env-update is so verbose about these routine maintenance tasks i.e:
35
36 $ env-update
37 >>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
38 * Caching service dependencies... [ ok ]
39
40 Although running depscan.sh through env-update resolves the problem of
41 uncached dependencies printing errors during /etc/init.d/ activities, I
42 believe that it should be made silent in its output since the output is
43 always constant and that it should not be run so many times!
44
45 I have a script which performs `emerge -Duv world`, logs the output and then
46 produces all messages at the end. In the case of env-update messages I have
47 had to: echo $OUTPUT | sed '/Caching service dependencies//d'.
48
49 Incidentally, the idea of quietening bzip2 output was a welcome one.
50
51 Any comments?
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list