From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Profiles Part 2
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 20:55:13
1 Many things were discussed in the last round of this thread (Paludis
2 and Profiles, in case anyone missed it), and many useful points raised.
3 One of these, which seems to have been largely missed in amongst the
4 other noise, forms the basis of this proposal. It is in some ways more
5 and in some ways less intrusive than the previous proposal,
6 and is also completely package-manager-agnostic.
7
8 In short, I would like to suggest replacing sys-apps/portage atoms in
9 the base and default-linux profiles with virtual/portage, and removing
10 the python dependencies from them. For most users this would have an
11 effective zero change, since the default provider for virtual/portage
12 is sys-apps/portage, and the python dependency will be pulled in by
13 Portage when calculating system deps. According to my understanding,
14 this should also produce no change when building release media, due to
15 both Portage and Python being in packages.build.
16
17 The only change introduced by this is that it becomes possible to
18 bootstrap a system with a different package manager simply by
19 installing it before 'system'. There are a couple more changes needed
20 to allow this -- namely that a few system packages have old
21 dependencies on >=portage-2.0.49, but these can be resolved seperately.
22 Any problems caused by packages depending implicitly upon Python will
23 show up only on systems not using Portage, and can be easily fixed with
24 the cooperation of package maintainers.
25
26 I would like to think that this proposal addresses most of the concerns
27 raised in the last thread -- it implies nothing about support for any
28 other package manager, and introduces nothing that could cause problems
29 for Portage users, while still allowing alternative package managers to
30 use the tree without needing Portage installed.
31
32 I am also aware that this falls roughly under what the Council was
33 asked to discuss in its June meeting, but since that seems to have not
34 happened, I'm bringing it up anyway, since I would like to get
35 something done here.
36
37 Comments?
38 --