From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: "scm" in GLEP 54 (was: Council meeting summary for meeting on May 14, 2009)
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 19:24:32
1 Thomas Anderson wrote:
2 > - Vote on GLEP 54
3 > This vote was called for by dertobi123. The vote was on whether to
4 > approve GLEP 54 conditional on whether GLEP 55 is passed. The reason
5 > for this is that GLEP 54 is unimplementable without the problems
6 > mentioned in GLEP 55 being solved.
7
8 I have not seen much discussion lately regarding the choice of the string, "scm"
9 in this GLEP. I asked the author today on IRC, and he said he doesn't have a
10 particularly strong reason for "scm" beyond historical reasons.
11
12 Since we are stuck with the string once it is adopted, I think we should
13 consider the choice carefully. Personally, I'd prefer "live", since it is what
14 we've been calling these ebuilds for a long time, it's easier to remember (and
15 more "catchy"), and it seems to carry the spirit of what we mean by these kinds
16 of ebuilds. Also, there is a new in-ebuild property with the signifier "live".
17
18 Comments?
19
20 -Joe