From: Frank Schafer <frank.schafer@×××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Why autoconf in system?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:30:05
1 Hi,
2
3 we meet often the (faulty) notion that autoconf/automake (even a couple
4 of versions on gentoo) is a dependency for packages.
5
6 This is true only for development of these packages itself.
7 Autoconf/automake provides tools to GENERATE configure scripts. Both are
8 totally unnecessary to build a package or run the programs it provides.
9 I've built a full featured LFS system not long ago without even
10 autoconf/automake installed.
11
12 I'd suggest to remove the build of autoconf/automake from ``emerge
13 system''. I'd leave all of the autoconf/automake versions in portage
14 tough for the case someone wants to involve in development of some
15 package.
16
17 Bug report regarding to this follows.
18
19 Regards
20 Frank
21 --