From: "Tod M. Neidt" <tneidt@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openoffice
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 10:47:08
1 On Fri, 2002-01-04 at 10:26, Gila wrote:
4 > /me is sending this with the evolution pack from gentoo...:) compiling
5 > took long but went _GREAT_..:)
6 It's very nice isn't it. The Gentoo Desktop developers are great and
7 mighty.
10 > Hi all:) i wass wondering if there is a problem with openoffice in the
11 > /usr/portage/app-office/openoffce dir. cause well... when i emerge it..
12 > (I have tried different ways) it just doesn't do annything..:?
13 >
14 I would recommend just downloading the latest linux binaries for now.
15 The openoffice setup program doesn't lend itself to easy scripted
16 installs and the compile will take you ~24 hours (on a fast machine).
17 This is the one application that comes close to bringing Gentoo to its
18 knees
19
20 Here's how I installed it.
21
22 First, emerge the latest dev-java/blackdown-{jdk,jre} OpenOffice should
23 automagically detect the blackdown java during setup.
24
25 Then, unpack the openoffice binary tarball somewhere convenient, and
26
27 cd <somewhere_convenient>/install
28
29 As root run,
30
31 ./setup /net
32
33 I would recommend installing to /opt/OpenOffice641
34
35 Then as user, run
36
37 /opt/OpenOffice641/setup
38
39 choose the smaller install.
42 Doing the initial setup with the "/net", flag will install the bulk of
43 openoffice in /opt. You can then choose the minimal install for each
44 user who needs openoffice on the local machine or over your lan. You
45 could also skip the "/net" flag, but then you would install a full blown
46 oppenoffice for each user.
49 Hope that helps
50
51 tod