From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New global USE flag: gzip-dict
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 00:16:52
1 Peter Volkov <pva@g.o> posted
2 1229707964.13304.1334.camel@localhost, excerpted below, on Fri, 19 Dec
3 2008 20:32:44 +0300:
4
5 > В Птн, 19/12/2008 в 17:06 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh пишет:
6 >> But disk space is cheap. How big are the dictionaries? The vim
7 >> dictionaries are around half a meg uncompressed, and if you're looking
8 >> to save a meg or two in disk space on the kind of system that includes
9 >> dictionaries then you're doing something seriously wrong...
10 >
11 > Size is times larger. All dictionary data (without index) I have
12 > currently installed occupies 93M in compressed form and uncompressed
13 > it'll take 402M. This does not count dictionaries I'm going to add into
14 > the tree. If I remember correctly all dictionaries I needed from
15 > stardict site took about 1Gbyte (uncompressed). Also some people use
16 > more then two languages and then they'll use more dictionaries.
17
18 I believe this is all people have been asking, really. For a gig of
19 data, compression to under a couple hundred megs sounds worthwhile. For
20 a hundred megs, compression to twenty megs, or even ten or five, not so
21 much, as on the fast machines a hundred megs or so of space shouldn't be
22 an issue, while on the slow machines, the decompression latency isn't
23 tolerable. But a gig of space (or even half a gig)... that's rather
24 different as there are still a decent number of people for whom that's 1%
25 or more of their total, who may be willing to take that latency as they
26 have better things to do with the space.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman