From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installing COPYING or LICENSE files
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 14:24:13
1 On Monday 26 December 2005 14:57, Drake Wyrm wrote:
2 > You're going to be hard-pressed to get any kind of consensus on this
3 > issue. Many dev seems to feel that the license belongs there. In some
4 > cases the COPYING, LICENSE, and/or INSTALL files contain, not boilerplate
5 > drivel, but actually unique, useful information.
6
7 Removing these files and relying on LICENSE=foo in the ebuild could be seen as
8 a copyright violation. There are lots of samples in /usr/src/licenses that
9 aren't generic, but include a copyright notice naming the authors of a
10 particular piece of software, but it doesn't match with all packages under
11 this license of course. Take ZLIB as example. Since I'm not a lawyer I might
12 be wrong, but me thinks it would make sense to ask one.
15 Carsten