From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: glibc versions prior to 2.19-r1
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 15:04:19
1 On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 03:18:01PM +0100, Matthias Maier wrote:
2 > IMHO, maintaining a sensible set of old glibc versions of the last 5
3 > years makes sense, and we should try to support it:
4
5 We have a general policy in the distro that says we only have to worry
6 about one year. Besides that, linux-2.6.32, which is the oldest kernel
7 glibc-2.20 will support was released in 2009, so I think it is
8 reasonable to drop the old glibc versions.
11 > > +1 from me. I cannot think of any scenario where we need to keep such
12 > > old glibc versions around.
13 >
14 > One scenario is to create a cross-compile toolchain with specific old
15 > versions of gcc/binutils/glibc/linux-headers in mind.
16 >
17 > Here, a common problem is that glibc is forward, but not backward
18 > compatible. Thus, specific old versions of glibc are usually required.
19 >
20 > Further, we also maintain a big history of gcc, binutils and
21 > linux-headers versions. This would become a bit moot when we restrict
22 > glibc to relatively modern versions.
23
24 As has already been stated, older than glibc-2.20 will not be considered
25 supported once 2.20 hits stable, and 2.20 works with >=linux-2.6.32,
26 which was released in 2009.
27
28 Furthermore, I still think we need to look at how far back we are going
29 with gcc/binutils/linux-headers.
32 > At least it would limit the usefulness and flexibility of crossdev
33 > drastically...
36 > An alternative approach might be to drop keywords completely from old
37 > versions that do not get any backports from our side any more.
38 > With this, those would be still available for crossdev - but without any
39 > functionality or security guarantee from our side.
40
41 An even better way to do this would be for someone to make an overlay
42 somewhere if they want this old stuff. I'm not saying that people
43 shouldn't be able to use it, but we shouldn't carry it in the main
44 portage tree. After all, we are not a software archival service.
45
46 William