From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Splitting desktop profile to KDE and GNOME
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 07:41:39
1 On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 15:42:17 +0200, Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 > Hi there!
4 >
5 > Resulting from discussion during last Gentoo KDE team meeting taking
6 place
7 > 22
8 > Oct 2009 at #gentoo-meetings (summary fill be available soon), having
9 > Gentoo
10 > GNOME team representative, it's been decided to go ahead with splitting
11 > desktop profile to DE-specific subprofiles, to avoid bloat and provide
12 > desktop
13 > specific separation which should result in desktop subprofiles being
14 > actually
15 > practical.
16 > It's been proposed to:
17 >
18 > - keep 'desktop' profile but strip it from any desktop specific features
19 > and
20 > settings, making it default recommended choice for anyone using non-KDE
21 > and
22 > non-GNOME desktop environment, yet avoiding USE flags bloat. Any other
23 DE
24 > is
25 > free to join and create own DE-specific subprofile if needed.
26 >
27 > - create 'KDE' (or 'kde') and 'GNOME' (or 'gnome') subprofiles within
28 > 'desktop' profile and move any desktop specific things there. This
29 should
30 > in
31 > theory allow us to not add 'recommended' IUSE defaults to desktop
32 specific
33 > packages, but keep those settings in profile - making profile
34 effectively
35 > 'out
36 > of the box' solution for those who need it.
37 >
38 > If you have any comments, suggestions, important notices regarding this
39 > change, please keep discussion in gentoo-desktop mailing list.
40
41 I fail to see how this is simpler and/or more versatile than simply using
42 USE="kde gnome", USE="-kde gnome", USE="-gnome kde" or USE="-gnome -kde".
43 What exactly are we going to gain by adding yet another level of complexity
44 where two simple USE flags suffice? I don't think it's even more elegant,
45 and in the worst case, it makes the things uselessly complicated when you
46 want to use both desktops.
47
48 We could also add an "image" subprofile, for those wanting USE="jpeg svg
49 png tiff" etc. Or an "fb" profile, for those only wanting USE="-X
50 directfb". It's a nonsense, I know. The desktop subprofiles are also a
51 nonsense to me :p
52
53 Just my opinion of course :)
56 Jesús Guerrero