From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed addition to the Social Contract
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 15:35:16
1 Christel Dahlskjaer wrote: [Sun Mar 25 2007, 07:35:33AM CDT]
2 > Supposedly >80% of our stuff is hosted in one building, where would we
3 > find ourselves were this building to building to burn to the ground? Get
4 > flooded?
5
6 Looking through
7 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/server-specs.xml,
8 that 80% number doesn't seem right. Where's your number coming
9 from?
10
11 Now it is true that 100% of our CVS server (presumably our most critical
12 resource) is located in one place (Global Netoptex, it seems), but I
13 have a hard time seeing how that could be otherwise, given the nature of
14 CVS. I assume that infra regularly backs up the repository to an
15 alternative site, so disaster there would be survivable. *Shrug* From
16 what I can tell, our resources aren't really all that localized.
17
18 Incidentally, the language of the proposed change would probably prevent
19 us from relying on freenode as our sole IRC host, since freenode would
20 certainly count as a single vendor.
21
22 -g2boojum-
23 --
24 Grant Goodyear
25 Gentoo Developer
26 g2boojum@g.o
27 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
28 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76