From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmasking modular X
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 06:58:20
1 On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:28:09 -0800 Donnie Berkholz
2 <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
3 | Yes, for all 3 people who have a clue what it means when virtual/x11
4 | gets pulled in. How many users do you seriously think will have a clue
5 | and think "Oh, virtual/x11 is getting pulled in here. I must have a
6 | package that isn't ported to modular X somewhere in this list. Let me
7 | track it down and file a bug."?
8
9 When users suddenly see lots of extra X packages being pulled in that
10 they don't need, it'll be rather obvious (and trivial to track down
11 with --tree). Especially if it's documented somewhere that "packages
12 that suddenly pull in lots of extra X packages usually means porting
13 needed".
14
15 | > * The clean solution is the solution originally proposed to this
16 | > list, and the reason we are using new style virtuals.
17 |
18 | No, this is wrong. The reason we are using new style virtuals is so we
19 | could have a versioning in what provides virtual/x11. Namely, 6.8 or
20 | older.
21
22 Uh, given that you can do that with old style virtuals, methinks that
23 isn't the case...
24
25 | > * There are currently enough unported packages that many ~arch users
26 | > will probably have one or two installed (assumption: many users have
27 | > several utterly random non-mainstream packages installed).
28 |
29 | Possible, but we can't prove this one way or the other. Certainly very
30 | few modular X users have encountered apps that are still unported, as
31 | evidenced by very few remaining blockers on #112675.
32
33 Sure, but that's because there are relatively few users using hard
34 masked packages. When you add it to ~arch the number will go up
35 massively.
36
37 | > * You are doing this because you believe that it is better to get
38 | > every package ported over extremely quickly rather than having the
39 | > odd package with extra unnecessary listed dependencies, and you do
40 | > not consider the impact upon our users to be relevant.
41 |
42 | I consider ~arch users to have agreed to help test and fix new things.
43 | This is included. I would not do the same thing to our stable tree, or
44 | if we only had a stable tree.
45 |
46 | Yes, I do think it is better to have a quick solution and let some of
47 | our ~arch users see a couple of blocks, for which they will file bugs.
48 | Then these bugs will be fixed within a day, and those users will again
49 | have working systems.
50
51 ...or you could do things as originally planned, and have no
52 non-working systems at all and the only consequences for end users will
53 be a small number of extra packages (that they previously had installed
54 anyway as part of hugeass X) being pulled in.
55
56 | I don't see what the big deal is. By being ~arch users, they're
57 | already asking to use ebuilds that have a chance of breaking their
58 | systems permanently, let alone a single 'emerge sync'.
59
60 They are asking to use ebuilds that may have undetected issues. They
61 are not asking to use things that we know fine well are broken. ~arch
62 is for "will hopefully go stable after further testing", not "stuff
63 that has a very high chance of screwing you over".
64
65 You're deliberately causing nasty problems for ~arch users when there's
66 a very easy, clean workaround with far lower consequences and the same
67 end result. This is unacceptable.
70 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (King of all Londinium)
71 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
72 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm