From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: dilfridge@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting the general dev opinion ("Meinungsbild") on some feature
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 17:05:15
1 On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 16:20:42 +0100
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I would like to suggest and ask your opinion on a simple way of getting the
5 > developers' collective opinion: cast votes with a shell script on our
6 > favourite shell server, which is then displayed on a web page (either only as
7 > stats, or with name lists as now in the public list discussion).
8 > A typical choice of options would be restricted to "Yes, No, More discussion
9 > needed", a typical deadine 72h.
10 >
11 > So, a thread like "Should we enable useflag Z by default" would then include
12 > "Please discuss here, vote on ..." with a link to the count page (updated via
13 > cron every 1h). On login to ..., a message similar to the "open elections
14 > message" could be displayed.
15 >
16 > Obviously the implementation does not exist, but this is conceptually simple
17 > enough so it could be implemented within reasonable time.
18
19 I think Rich has raised the main points already, and I mostly agree
20 with him on the disadvantages of 'simple voting'.
21
22 I once or twice told it would be really useful to have a stack
23 exchange-like platform to discuss problems. Although it wouldn't be
24 perfect, it would be something in between blind-voting and mailing list
25 discussion. A place where everyone could suggest a solution and others
26 could vote on the proposed solutions.
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny