From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] app-misc/physlock: Upstream repo archived
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 08:34:23
1 On 15.10.2021 9.33, Oskari Pirhonen wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I sent a pull request to upstream earlier this year to fix a PAM related
5 > issue (see also: Gentoo bug #774729), but the repo has since been
6 > archived [1]. Looking at the commit history, I see that there's only
7 > been a single upstream commit since the beginning of 2020.
8 >
9 > What is the proper procedure, if there is one, to reclaim a package with
10 > a dead upstream? I use physlock on all my machines and have recommended
11 > it to my friends as a solid screen locker and would very much like to
12 > help keep it alive.
13 >
14 > I would be willing to maintain a fork [2] as well as help maintain the
15 > Gentoo package itself. I've already got a little bit of experience in
16 > working with Portage by creating packages into my overlay [3].
17 >
18 > [1]: https://github.com/muennich/physlock
19 > [2]: https://github.com/xxc3nsoredxx/physlock
20 > [3]: https://github.com/xxc3nsoredxx/unc3nsored
21 >
22 > I've CC'ed the current proxy maintainer for app-misc/physlock as well as
23 > the main upstream developer in case they have any input.
24 >
25 > - Oskari
28 Hey,
29
30 so far it seems there's just a single commits difference. I think for
31 now we can just apply the patch you provided into our current ebuild file,
32 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/app-misc/physlock/physlock-13-r1.ebuild
33
34 If you'd like we'd prefer a GitHub pull request where you modify the
35 ebuild adding this patch, and revbump the ebuild to -r2. We should only
36 switch upstreams if there's some clear development done in a fork - are
37 you aware of any other forks existing, with active development
38 happening? Since I saw the original upstream had some issues open before
39 the project was archived. You should collaborate all efforts into one fork.
40
41 Let me know if you need help with these tasks, or pop by in
42 #gentoo-dev-help @ libera.chat IRC network.
43
44 -- juippis

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature