From: "Olivier CrĂȘte" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] how to handle sensitive files when generating binary packages
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:06:38
1 On Wed, 2007-20-06 at 17:19 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 20 June 2007, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:54:34 -0400
4 > >
5 > > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > On Wednesday 20 June 2007, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
7 > > > > Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
8 > > > > > being able to generate binary packages that actually reflect the
9 > > > > > live $ROOT is desirable
10 > > > >
11 > > > > Is being able to generate redistributable binary packages that
12 > > > > reflect the live ROOT desirable?
13 > > >
14 > > > that's a feature that exists now that there's no reason to
15 > > > disable ... not that it can be disabled
16 > >
17 > > I'm not suggesting forcibly disabling it, merely marking binary
18 > > packages as "designed for distribution" or "not designed for
19 > > distribution", not accepting the latter on other systems and
20 > > requiring explicit user action to turn the latter into the former.
21 > >
22 > > The specific underlying question being, what are the use cases for
23 > > binary packages?
24 >
25 > the use of the binpkg is not an issue, it's the creation ... people blindly
26 > creating tbz2's which could contain their sensitive files and posting them
27 >
28 > i'll just go ahead with the feedback from Olivier and have quickpkg skip
29 > CONFIG_PROTECT by default
30
31 This will by default create potentially broken packages (since many just
32 wont work without their CONFIG_PROTECTed files). That's why I suggested
33 a big fat warning and accepting that we can't protect users against
34 themselves or against social engineering (aka their own stupidity).
37 Olivier CrĂȘte
38 tester@g.o
39 Gentoo Developer