From: Alastair Tse <liquidx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] More info than DESCRIPTION
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:50:11
1 On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 00:26, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > could be handled in a couple of ways:
3 > 1. a package you would emerge that would have a large database of descriptions
4 > ... not very good idea due to updating 1 package means a whole new d/l ...
5 > 2. a package that would query a remote gentoo server via http or something
6 > 3. another file for all packages to be added to cvs ... say 'Info' or 'About'
7 > or something similar ... i would rather not see it go into the ebuild ;)
8 >
9 > <[Eazy|E]> is there a way to get an info about the package, the info like the
10 > freshmeat.net gives out ?
11
12 We had this discussion on gentoo-dev exactly a month ago, but as far as
13 I know it didn't come to anything conclusive. The messages are in marc,
14 although it is not the world's best mailing list archive, you can get
15 the gist of the discussion:
16
17 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-dev&w=2&r=1&s=horrible+package+descriptions&q=b
18
19 I believe Seemant was suggesting some integration with freshmeat's
20 database using something called pdsst (?). We just need some mapping
21 from gentoo package name to freshmeat package name, and then some way to
22 fill in the void. Although all talk no code makes my point rather
23 ineffective. So I'll shut up :)
24
25 Cheers,
26 --
27 Alastair 'liquidx' Tse
28 >> Gentoo Developer
29 >> http://www.liquidx.net/ | http://cvs.gentoo.org/~liquidx/
30 >> GPG Key : http://cvs.gentoo.org/~liquidx/liquidx_gentoo_org.asc
31 >> FingerPrint : 579A 9B0E 43E8 0E40 EE93 BB1C 38CE 1C7B 3907 14F6