From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev implementation
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:35:56
1 On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 07:56, C. Brewer wrote:
2 > I tried out the 0.2 version of udev today, and I realize that its way rough
3 > so early in the development, but I must say I was disappointed with it's
4 > current implementation ( and the lousy attitude of the udev FAQ "if you don't
5 > like it stick with devfs" didn't help). Currently I have some small concerns
6 > about adopting this as a whole ( somewhere on down the line)-
9 Right.
10
11 > 1)The present package consists of a tarball with just about every device node
12 > you could make (excepting small things like sound, ppp, more than 4 ttyS*'s)
13 > Is this going to be a standard, or will some form of intuitive /dev entries be
14 > imp'd? IIRC, the tarball is about 1.4k device nodes, and I think I need 100
15 > on the outside.
18 Problem is that you need sysfs support, and currently only the scsi and
19 major block/char devices supports it (no input, sound, etc).
20
21 The tarball is only the initial stage, when better support is there (and
22 I have obviously learned a lot more :), it will be dropped.
23
24 > 2) Since this won't automatically create these nodes ( unless a hotplug event
25 > occurs), or load the dependent modules, doesn't this seem like a step back to
26 > the old system, but with a name-mapping steroided hotplug?
29 Depends, creating specific entries in /sys/ will also cause these, and
30 when all drivers support sysfs ....
31
32 > 3) Don't get me wrong..I'm not flaming the package,and I realize devfs is crap
33 > as well..but the score is devfsd( crap but makes nodes and loads mods on the
34 > fly) and udev (maps names and supposedly does stuff with hotplugging that
35 > hotplug never amounted to.( and is dev'd by the hotplug peeps?ironic)). All
36
37 Eventually udev will do this as well (for me example, if with new udev,
38 and not having /sbin/udev in /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug, it auto loads
39 usb-storage + co, and creates /dev/sdc* [after deleting them of
40 course]). You basically just have to think back initial devfs stage =)
41
42 > that aside, what is udev going to do for the desktop? I have devices I could
43 > swap(USB) but with most comps coming with like 6 usb ports, I cant see more
44 > than some pendrive swapping at user level. Yeah, I know theres peeps out
45 > there with 80 pendrives and 8 hot-swappable hdd's, but is this the majority
46 > of users? For the likely many of us who dont need to swap and have had the
47 > same hardware on the same nodes that dont ever change..what does udev bring
48 > to the table?
51 When the driver register, it will still create /sys/ entries, and thus
52 the nodes you wish for (when it supports sysfs).
53
54 > Forgive me if I've gone delusional.. I was just under the impression that udev
55 > was going to do everything that devfsd does now _and_ add name mapping, and
56 > apparently I was wrong. I'm just planning for the future since seeing the
57 > udev changes going into our init system.. we got no choice about the devfs
58 > and I feel it's going the same way for udev. I'm not trying to slight the
59 > obviously hard work that was put into it, but what about choice? to devfs or
60 > not to devfs? to udev or not to udev? Or is it merely choice with package
61 > selection, and not with the overall package that is Gentoo?
64 If you want to do testing, and do not mind the slight issue, go udev -
65 if not, go devfs for now.
68 Thanks,
72 Martin Schlemmer
73 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
74 Cape Town, South Africa