From: "Ralph F. De Witt" <ralphdewitt@×××××××.net>
To: Brandon Low <lostlogic@g.o>, John Davis <zhen@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-core@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo part II.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:16:58
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Monday 14 July 2003 11:16 pm, Brandon Low wrote:
5 > I agree, we are at a crossroads, but I disagree about which of the many
6 > branches we should follow. I think we have got the management thing
7 > about as big as it needs to be, if we go any further toward managing
8 > things, we're going to lose a lot of what many of us consider what is
9 > GOOD about Gentoo, the FUN, the excitement, the 'cool' factor of being
10 > able to SEE changes help users in almost real time without having to
11 > wade through bullshit to do it.
12 >
13 IMHO I agree.
14
15 [snip]
16 >
17 > We have the Gentoo Social Contract, that is the only guarantee that any
18 > users should really need, it ensures that if anyone feels that they need
19 > a different structure than what Gentoo currently offers they are free to
20 > fork without retribution, and to have a good tiem doing it. To further
21 > constitutionalize ourselves and turn ourselves into a debian like
22 > monstrosity would not help us but rather hinder us by alienating our
23 > most important asset: our users. These are users who (I would guess)
24 > close to half run ~x86 bleeding edge sometimes broken apps because it is
25 > FUN. These people have NO interest in politics or in the runnings of an
26 > OSS project, they just want to see their favorite apps, and the latest
27 > greatest toys on their desktops NOW, and they will not only help, but
28 > ENJOY helping to fix issues which come up.
29 >
30 IMHO I agree.
31
32 > > 2. Open voting
33 > > At this point in time, there is no published ruleset for voting,
34 > > and there is no public record of voting results. There is also no offical
35 > > published method of calculating a voting quorum. Additionally, with
36 > > regard to the election of new managers, the vote is kept secret.
37 > >
38 > > In order for any democratic system that uses voting to be successful,
39 > > there *must* be accountability, concrete rules, and open results. How can
40 > > there possibly be accountability if the results of the vote are kept
41 > > completely secret? The find line between an oligarchy and a
42 > > representative democracy is voting accountability. The developers,
43 > > managers, and uses *must* know that the Gentoo voting process is secure
44 > > in its philosophy and practice.
45 > >
46 > > References:
47 > > http://www.debian.org/vote/ (Voting policy)
48 > > http://www.debian.org/vote/2002/vote_0001 (Sample voting results)
49 > > http://www.debian.org/vote/howto_vote (Sample voting ballot)
50 >
51 Who wants voting. I am more than happy filling a bugzilla request for a app or
52 a bug fix and seeing it happen almost real time with out some voting
53 processes and having to wait months if it get's enough votes etc. IMHO bad
54 idea.
55
56 > Someone else said this, but WE ARE NOT A DEMOCRACY, we are a loosely
57 > conglomorated group of friends and associates with the common goal (and
58 > this is the only common goal we really have) of making Gentoo GREAT, and
59 > that is something I think we are all trying to do, but the problem is
60 > that tryin to turn Gentoo into some kind of socio/political funhouse
61 > ISN'T going allow the free and rapid development that we've been able to
62 > maintain thus far.
63 IMHO I agree.
64
65 What has let Gentoo become great is that everyone
66 > has been completely free in their 'development time' to do whatever they
67 > feel they need to do to better the distro, yes that meant that many
68 > great projects that had a lot of hours in them got thrown out, but many
69 > others that may never have even been started if everyone was doing
70 > development tasks as assigned have become core aspects of our system.
71 Here Here. IMHO I agree.
72
73 Let us not turn Gentoo into a Meta Debian distribution. Lets stay near
74 bleeding edge, quick fix time fun distribution. With a structure of our own
75 design that works for us.
76 - --
77 Yours,
78 Ralph.
79 It said Use Windows XP or better, so I installed Gentoo Linux 1.4
80 Register Linux User 168814 ICQ #49993234 AIM ralphdewitt jabber.org
81 ralphdewitt
82 GPG Public Key available at hkp://blackhole.pca.dfn.de
83 Key id = 0DE2 085D
84 Kernel version 2.4.20-gentoo-r2
85 Current Linux uptime: 2 days 23 hours 42 minutes.
96 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list