From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 13:32:24
1 On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:09:57 +0100
2 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Michał Górny schrieb:
5 > >> In a follow-up, upstream wrote about how you should only run udev together
6 > >> with systemd, and if you don't want to do that (spelling as in original):
7 > >>
8 > >> "we will not support the udev-on-netlink case anymore. I see three options:
9 > >> a) fork things, b) live with systemd, c) if hate systemd that much, but
10 > >> love udev so much, then implement an alternative userspace for kdbus to
11 > >> do initialiuzation/policy/activation."
12 > >> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019664.html
13 > >>
14 > >> So it seems a bit more than only initialization is needed.
15 > > You're missing the third option which is a sane option, and jump
16 > > straight to pitchforks.
17 >
18 > Are you serious? The quoted line directly above your comment shows
19 > clearly that I have read and understood the third option.
20 >
21 > > If Lennart's single statement from 2014 is a reason to use eudev
22 > > instead of systemd-udevd, my statement from today is a more important
23 > > reason not to use eudev.
24 >
25 > With the exception that Lennart Poettering is the lead developer of
26 > systemd/udev, while such a thing cannot be said about you and eudev.
27
28 He's lead developer of *systemd*. udev is a split part of systemd
29 codebase which has specific maintainers.
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny
34 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>