From: Jonathan Kelly <jonkelly@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Weekly News Letter - "Where is Gentoo Linux 1.4"
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:39:17
1 On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:46:08 -0400
2 Stewart <bdlists@×××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Stuart Bouyer wrote:
5 > > I think you misunderstand the complaint here. The problem (which has
6 > > been brought up this list previously) is that there is no way to
7 > > guarantee that I can get my server back to it's current configuration
8 > > if I have to reinstall at a later date. Not only will new versions of
9 > > ebuilds have been added to the portage tree, but there is a great
10 > > chance that ebuild for the version of the package that I'm happy using
11 > > will no longer be in portage tree. What I install using the 1.3
12 > > install CD today will be very different from what I installed 3 months
13 > > ago.
14 >
15 > A long-standing problem is certainly the trigger-happy nature of so many
16 >
17 > developers when it comes to removing "old" ebuilds. I've seen it to the
18 > extreme where a new build was committed and all previous builds removed
19 > before the new version (which already had Bugzilla reports) had even
20 > been tested, letalone assured to be working.
23 <rest of extremely good post snipped>
24
25 Just wanted to agree whole heartedly. Just yesterday I got so frustrated
26 with gentoo being such a moving target it's actually stopping me from
27 doing useful work, I actually considered going back to a prebuilt and
28 stable distro (slackware). Now that's pretty yukky, but at least I'd be
29 able to get on with doing what I'm supposed to be doing!
30
31 Cheers.
32 Jonathan Kelly.
33
34 |add usual aphorism referring to small change here|
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list