From: Matt Thrailkill <xwred1@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New USE flag 'daemontools' as an alternative to init.d
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 21:34:38
1 Is this effectively a new system of init-scripts?
2
3 If so.. I think it'd be cool to write some bsd-style init-scripts to add
4 to the variety.
5
6 On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 21:11:12 +0000
7 "Hallgrimur H. Gunnarsson" <hhg@××××.is> wrote:
8
9 > Hello friends !
10 >
11 > I'd like to propose a new USE flag.
12 >
13 > On my systems I've added a 'daemontools' USE flag
14 > as an alternative to the current init.d for
15 > service management. To be a true metadistribution,
16 > it doesn't seem fair to let init.d have a monopoly
17 > on providing service management for packages.
18 >
19 > For those who haven't heard of it before, daemontools
20 > is a process supervisor that can manage services.
21 > For more information see http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html
22 >
23 > Integration of this functionality into ebuilds is in
24 > most cases very trivial. Packages that wish to
25 > provide daemontools USE flag support provide
26 > a 'run' file, that is copied to a service directory,
27 > /etc/daemontools/servicename, or something in that
28 > direction. We could even have some automated facility
29 > for preparing service directories.
30 >
31 > People can then choose what to use for running a particular
32 > service, /etc/init.d or linking the service directory into
33 > /service if the package provides daemontools support.
34 >
35 > I've opened a bug for this (#28294), so what do people
36 > think of this?
37 >
38 > -- hhg
41 > --