From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [user] Why you use Gentoo
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 03:07:58
1 Unlike many linux users I started with linux and had to learn windows
2 later. In both cases I was already an `old man'. On my fiftieth
3 birthday in 1996, I started with Redhat linux somewhere in the 3X
4 version area.
5
6 I stumbled and plunged, plunged and stumbled all the way up to now.
7 And here 10 yrs later am still capable of asking dead stupid
8 questions.
9
10 It may not show too much but I have learned hugely along the way.
11 I finally tired of redhat (by then it was the fedora branch) and had
12 tried quite a few others along the way,
13
14 Slackware, Debian were really the only two `others' for quite a
15 while but then I tried mandrake and suse too.
16
17 Always returning to redhat/fedora in the end for the simple fact I
18 knew it best.
19
20 So none of the others held enough draw for me to drop redhat/fedora.
21 Until I met Gentoo. About 1 1/2 yrs ago now.
22
23 It wasn't love at first boot as many here have reported but by then I
24 was tired of the need to basically reinstall every few mnths or face
25 the dependancy hell people have mentioned that can arise in rpm
26 systems.
27
28 I bounced back and forth for a few wks until I finally learned enough
29 to keep my gentoo system up and have some confidence I knew how to
30 upgrade etc.
31
32 Unlike some posters here I haven't noticed that this list is really
33 much different than the old redhat now fedora lists. Only to say that
34 the old redhat lists seemed to have more real experts than the later
35 Fedora branch lists.
36
37 But both were incredibly helpfull too. This list follows a long linux
38 tradition of being very helpful to new and not so new users. Gentoo
39 lists may well be setting the high water mark in having a high
40 `real experts' ratio.
41
42 The only real breach I ever noticed in that tradition was Debian lists
43 which (Putting on asbestos drawers now) are very snotty and have a
44 religious zealot overtone not found elsewhere.
45
46 And now finally getting to the point: In a brief summary one might
47 say:
48
49 emerge -u world
50
51 and all the emerge jobs in between when needing specific tools. That
52 is, the emerge/portage system is really a well rounded, and robust
53 software managing tool.
60 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list