From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 18:54:23
1 On 06/29/2012 02:38 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3 >> It does copy all of the images to /boot so that the grub shell can be
4 >> used to install an MBR image. grub:2 no longer has an interactive
5 >> shell and grub2-install must be used. Therefore, copying files to
6 >> /boot in the ebuild is completely pointless.
7 >
8 > Does grub2-install place any stage files where they need to be, or are
9 > they no longer needed? I haven't experimented with it yet.
10 >
11 > Normally grub1 needs to be able to find the stage2 file, and that has
12 > to be on a partition the stage1.5 can read (I believe stage1.5 is in
13 > the diagnostic cylinder - it only uses the files in /boot during
14 > installation).
15 >
16 > I'm not sure if grub2 completely eliminates the need to have a
17 > "normal" partition somewhere, in a situation where raid+lvm+etc are
18 > used.
19 >
20 > Rich
23 GRUB2 does away with the conventional stage files. It also wants a
24 special BIOS Boot Partition in order to function. That is where it
25 stores the equivalent of the stage2 bootcode. That is similar to
26 FreeBSD's bootloader.