From: Mikael Hallendal <micke@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE .ebuilds $DEBUG support
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 04:52:55
1 Den 25 Aug 2001 00:40:21 -0500 skrev Don Davies:
2 > Hi, devs
3 >
4 > Dan Armak:
5 >
6 > I think this would be a nice addition to the KDE .ebuilds. The QT .ebuild
7 > has a similar provision. This should provide performance gains, as well
8 > as reduce the compilation time, as I understand from reading posts on
9 > http://dot.kde.org.
10
11 Hi!
12
13 I generally agree to this and think this is the way to go (the same for
14 gnome-stuff). The only problem with this is that it's hell for us to
15 help users when they have problem since they can't provide any
16 information about what went wrong, only that something did went wrong.
17
18 I had a problem with Gnumeric the other day which was that it segfaulted
19 on one of my computer but not on the other. It turned out to be a bug in
20 Gnumeric (now fixed) but the reason it segfaulted on one of my computers
21 was that I had built glib with --disable-debug on the machine where it
22 segfaulted.
23
24 This is a performance-gain for the user and a real debugging-loss for
25 us. :) Most other distributions build with --enable-debug ASAIK.
26
27 Regards,
28 Mikael Hallendal
31 Mikael Hallendal http://micke.hallendal.net/
32 Stockholm, Sweden Cell: +46 (0)709 718 918