From: "Corentin “Nado” Pazdera" <nado@××××××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there any way I can help with pull requests?
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2018 13:11:44
1 October 13, 2018 3:00 PM, "James Le Cuirot" <chewi@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 13:28:02 +0200
4 > Ralph Seichter <gentoo@××××××××.de> wrote:
5 >
6 >> Looking at the number of open pull requests (some of them my own), I
7 >> wonder if Gentoo has become a bit of a victim of its own success as far
8 >> as contributions are concerned.
9 >
10 > I've said as much, at least with regards to the addition of GitHub. The
11 > problem is that maintainers are not supposed to just blindly merge
12 > contributions but they often lack the time to test them. Such
13 > contributions also frequently have issues as the authors have not done
14 > the developer quizzes. We try to guide contributors through the
15 > necessary changes but this can lead to fatigue on both sides.
16 >
17 >> Is there any way I could help the Gentoo team? Any vacancies that need
18 >> to be filled, or work that needs to be done?
19 >
20 > Following what I said above, we need more actual bona fide developers
21 > who have done the quizzes, understand the issues, can most important
22 > can take responsibility for their own contributions.
23 >
24 > There is the proxy maintainers project, where we can accept
25 > contributions with a little less scrutiny, but I personally feel that
26 > these contributors really should just become developers. It doesn't
27 > matter if you're only interested in one or two packages, any help is
28 > very welcome.
29
30 I've always considered the entry barrier to become a dev too much work for keeping a small involvement.
31 I might just be lazy or not interested enough I agree. Still I must not be the only one.
32 I might also just have a wrong impression of what's needed.
35 Couldnt it be possible to create more granulars levels of involvement?
36
37 Corentin “Nado” Pazdera