From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Pluggable Hell - aka Linux-PAM and non-linux gentoos
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:45:12
1 On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 15:46 +0200, Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > as I've already posted on gentoo-bsd mailing list[1], I'm trying to get
4 > gentoo/fbsd behave the same as gentoo/linux wrt pam stuff.
5 > Main problem is that g/fbsd and g/linux uses two different pam
6 > implementations: Linux-PAM and OpenPAM.
7 >
8 > Also if PAM should be quite standard, most linux distribution (gentoo
9 > included) ships Linux-PAM with some added modules, one of which (pam_stack)
10 > it's useful to avoid copy-and-pasting pam configuration files for different
11 > services, using the same authentication methods of another service (usually
12 > system-auth).
13 > This is useful, as allow to change a single configuration file to get all the
14 > services use a defined authentication scheme, but it has a big drawback: it's
15 > not portable, depends on the internal structure of Linux-PAM library.
16 > If this could be acceptable for a linux only distribution, with gentoo, the
17 > problem is quite serious.
18 >
19 > Ok we could switch g/fbsd to use Linux-PAM, as Linux-PAM is multiplatform, in
20 > spite of its name, but this won't fix the problem, as g/osx would have the
21 > same problem: macosx's pam implementation is compatible with openpam,
22 > linuxpam and so on, but it doesn't support pam_stack.
23 >
24 > Now, solution of that is quite simple: just don't use pam_stack, and convert
25 > all the pam configuration file to duplicate the default system-auth
26 > authentication scheme. If someone needs to change the way system-auth works,
27 > adding ldap, samba or something like that for authentication, they should
28 > also be able to change the needed other services, such as sshd, ftpd, pop3
29 > and imapd stuff.
32 Urk, no - you know how long it took to get there?
33
34 From 0.78 and later, it supports the new 'include' directive that works
35 exactly like pam_stack, which I was planning to slowly switch to ... you
36 cannot get that added, or check if its present?
37 Or port pam_stack damnit!! ;p
38
39 > This is not the only thing needed to fix everything up. All the packages which
40 > depends on sys-libs/pam should be changed, as g/fbsd, g/osx and other
41 > g/non-linux can have other implementations of pam. My suggestion is adding a
42 > virtual/pam which could be used, so that g/osx will provide it directly,
43 > g/fbsd could provide it via its own packages (or using an openpam package,
44 > which could be used on linux, too), and linux still can use sys-libs/pam.
45 >
46 > Also, it could be better rename sys-libs/pam into sys-libs/linux-pam: also if
47 > the name isn't restrictive, that's the right name for them: it's not "The
48 > PAM".
51 I dont really have an issue with this, besides that its not really
52 needed, and ill have a pita of a time to get history if need be.
56 Martin Schlemmer
57 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
58 Cape Town, South Africa