From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI usage
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:38:49
1 On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Johannes Huber <johu@g.o> wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 >> Developers have only a limited amount of time, and this will eat into
6 >> it. The result is likely to not be new shiny ebuilds that use the new
7 >> EAPIs, but rather old rusty ones that still use the old EAPI but also
8 >> which contain other bugs, since they don't get touched at all (since
9 >> touching them triggers the new policy).
10 >
11 > You dont need to touch the old ebuild, but if you are touching it for example
12 > a version bump, a bug fix etc you should be able to do the EAPI bump as long as
13 > you have done the ebuild quizzes ;)
14
15 I'm a proxy maintainer. Meaning I haven't done these quizzes. Heck,
16 I've never even seen them. I catch bug reports, come up with a
17 solution and pass it back to Markos, who then decides whether or not
18 to put it in and give feedback.
19
20 How would this impact me?
23 >> For a real-world analogy - look at the result of well-intended laws
24 >> that require ADA compliance and such on building modifications. The
25 >> result is often stuff like kids taking classes in modular trailers and
26 >> such because in order to add an extension to the building you need to
27 >> bring the entire building up to code (and not just the new part). The
28 >> result isn't more elevators and ramps - but the use of hacked together
29 >> solutions to work around the policy.
30 >
31 > Examples?
32
33 Every single hack you've ever seen which was written to get a unit
34 test to pass, but makes the code more difficult to modify or refactor
35 in the future.
38 >> If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
39 >
40 > Essential part of software development is refactoring to get the code in a
41 > modern state.
42
43 As a professional software developer, I can say that the decision to
44 refactor or not is couched deeply in the question of whether or not it
45 makes sense to do it at that moment. Typically, you don't refactor
46 unless time pressures are sufficiently low, or unless you can see some
47 specific way that the refactor will save you time in the very near
48 future.
49
50 The latter condition will happen normally for a maintainer. But all
51 maintainers are volunteers, which means time pressures are always
52 high. (Especially if they have lives outside of Gentoo.)
55 :wq