From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: deprecate /usr/share/doc/$PF
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 13:30:25
1 Dale posted on Sun, 18 Dec 2011 22:48:27 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 > Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
5 >>> The problem is that ($PN, $CATEGORY) pairs are not unique.
6
7 >> Thinking about it a little more, I believe that ${CATEGORY} shouldn't
8 >> appear anywhere in the path of installed files, for the following
9 >> reasons:
10 >>
11 >> 1. Users may not know the category of a package
12
13 > I like the logic in #1 as a user. What if two packages have the same
14 > name but different categories tho? It is rare but I do run into this
15 > from time to time. I try to emerge something but am informed by emerge
16 > that I have to include the category for emerge to know exactly which
17 > package I want installed.
18
19 At present that's semi-accounted-for by including version-revision.
20 Luckily, $PN clashes don't often have the same versions installed at the
21 same time, so including it helps avoid clashes on $PN only. The proposal
22 removes version-revision, which would ordinarily be good, but in the
23 context of $PN clashes causes problems.
24
25 I believe that's the rock upon which most previous similar proposals have
26 foundered.
27
28 > I do agree that docs are sometimes hard to find. The only way I have
29 > any success is equery files <package name> then see where it put them or
30 > if there is none to find.
31
32 For docs, I used to have problems too, but it's been awhile, I think
33 because I've learned to work with the system, in this case, tab-
34 completion (the next point), not against it. I do sometimes use equery
35 files or equery belongs to find where a package put files, but seldom for
36 docs in the docdir, since I know where to look and can tab-complete for
37 them. But for what manpages a package includes, certainly, and over the
38 years I've found a number of commands I didn't know about, that way. =:^)
39
40 >> 2. It doesn't play well with bash completion. When searching for
41 >> documentation of a specific package (and only knowing PN), one can
42 >> currently type the pathname up to PN and press tab which will
43 >> complete PVR. With CATEGORY _before_ PN this would no longer work.
44
45 I often find myself doing equery list, simply to find the category, as
46 when reporting bugs or checking to see which binpkg versions I still have
47 around, etc. But the various package trees (ebuild, binpkg, installed-
48 db) are on filesystems that aren't normally mounted unless I'm working on
49 them, on mds that likewise aren't normally assembled, and having to
50 assemble an md and mount a filesystem just to be able to do an equery
51 list, so I can lookup a doc of a package that's under some category name
52 I don't remember, just because someone broke the previously working bash-
53 completion lookup method...
54
55 Very much ungood!
56
57 >> 3. CATEGORY and SLOT are Gentoo specific [and n]either of them should
58 >> appear in the directory structure of installed packages.
59
60 >> Leave things as they are. It's not perfect, but IMHO your approach
61 >> would create at least as many problems as it would solve.
62
63 Indeed.
64
65 If a method allowing permanent bookmarking is desired, scripts that
66 create and update a tree of symlinks and/or uses existing portage phase
67 hooks has already been mentioned. Someone can package such a script and
68 as with any other package, people that want/need it can emerge and run it
69 as necessary, without getting into the quagmire of confusing category
70 names, broken tab-completion and potential doc-file collisions that this
71 proposal is opening up.
76 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman