From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Commercial" software in portage
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:04:12
1 On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 23:08 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > *Relax!* ;)
3
4 I'm quite calm, actually.
5
6 > I meant extending the fetch-restriction concept to include all cases where
7 > an ebuild is not fully self-contained; that is, cases where the ebuild is
8 > not capable of obtaining all necessary components to get a package to a
9 > fully-functional state.
10
11 That would be fine. I'm not sure how extending fetch restriction would
12 do it, but I'm also not a portage developer.
13
14 > Deferring discussion about it.. well, it scares me to be completely honest.
15 > It becomes another one of those "is this going to change the requirements?"
16 > that's always lurking.
17
18 I personally don't see it as a big enough issue to sweat it. If it
19 doesn't make it into the next portage version, we shoot for one after
20 that.
21
22 > > I think I was looking for something where a user could tell before they
23 > > even decided to merge the package, via emerge -S or packages.gentoo.org,
24 > > or preferably both.
25 >
26 > Is that the only requirement? Just a boolean attribute that says the user
27 > will have to pay money in order to make use of the package? If so, it would
28 > seem that metadata.xml would be the perfect place, but I'll think on that
29 > and come back to it.
30
31 That is the only requirement that *I* had based on discussion with a
32 couple users. They just wanted to know ahead of time that a package
33 they were looking at wouldn't work without them buying it.
34
35 > > > So, if RESTRICT="fetch" were to be overloaded, there is the issue of
36 > > > both fetch-restricted and non-fetch-restricted downloads in the one
37 > > > package. I would think this issue exists already for some packages. How
38 > > > is it dealt with at the moment?
39 > >
40 > > Currently, we just restrict the whole thing, as we have no other choice.
41 > > On some packages, it sucks pretty badly if there's only a single
42 > > restricted tarball and many unrestricted tarballs.
43 >
44 > Perhaps leave this one for another time? :)
45
46 Agreed. This is best left for later.
49 Chris Gianelloni
50 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead