From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Useflag static split
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:37:45
1 On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 16:12 +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > Lately I found lots of problems and inconsistency for the useflag static.
3 >
4 > Sometimes it means "build only static", sometimes "build static and shared".
5 >
6 > The problem:
7 >
8 > If you need to build something static you need the static libs.
9 >
10 > If the use flag depend is allowed probably that could be a dirty
11 > solution. Luckly it isn't yet, so we have to find a cleaner one:
12 >
13 > 1- split static in static and static-lib (static-lib will make the
14 > library build also the static version, static will build _just_ the
15 > static lib)
16 >
17 > 2- make everly library build always the static library and let use
18 > static just apply for executables.
19
20 Something like nptl+nptlonly makes a decent parallel -- static
21 +staticonly.
22
23 But Mike makes a good point.