From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: /etc/hostname on gentoo
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 12:40:56
1 On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 7:42 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 08/24/2016 07:37 AM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I imagine _someone_ out there wants it, otherwise we wouldn't be
5 >> discussing it.
6 >
7 > The thread started out proposing it as a solution to a docker problem
8 > that, it turns out, isn't a problem. Why are we still trying to fixing
9 > something that isn't broken? Maybe I'm losing it, but nowhere in the
13 ++
14
15 The need for /etc/hostname isn't really a container issue either in
16 general. It isn't like containers need that file any more than
17 anything else. The original proposed issue wouldn't be unlike
18 somebody 20 years ago saying that they need their system with an nfs
19 root filesystem to know the hostname of the nfs server. There are
20 certainly ways to accomplish this by having the server stick a file
21 somewhere, but it is a bit orthogonal to whether the nfs server uses
22 /etc/hostname to set its hostname.
25 Rich