From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Splitting desktop profile to KDE and GNOME
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:00:07
Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
> Hi there! > > Resulting from discussion during last Gentoo KDE team meeting taking place 22 > Oct 2009 at #gentoo-meetings (summary fill be available soon), having Gentoo > GNOME team representative, it's been decided to go ahead with splitting > desktop profile to DE-specific subprofiles, to avoid bloat and provide desktop > specific separation which should result in desktop subprofiles being actually > practical. > It's been proposed to: > > - keep 'desktop' profile but strip it from any desktop specific features and > settings, making it default recommended choice for anyone using non-KDE and > non-GNOME desktop environment, yet avoiding USE flags bloat. Any other DE is > free to join and create own DE-specific subprofile if needed.
Hi, Just so it is clear and there aren't any questions in the future. The XFCE team maintains a set of recommended global use flags in our docs[1] (maintained by Josh (nightmorph)). So, whatever direction this ends up, xfce will not be going down that same road. Additionally, One cool thing about Gentoo is that you *can* have more than one DE installed. We don't have things like KGentoo =P I hope this profile thing doesn't make it harder for end users to use GNOME and KDE at the same time. -Jeremy [1]: