From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package.mask vs ~arch
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 11:30:33
1 Rich Freeman:> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 8:36 AM, hasufell
2 <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >> This is still too vague for me. If it's expected to be short-term, then
4 >> it can as well just land in ~arch.
5 >
6 > A package that hasn't been tested AT ALL doesn't belong in ~arch.
7
8 Huh? That's exactly the place. However, if you mean "AT ALL" in the
9 sense that no one ever tried to compile it, then the guy who comitted
10 should not have commit rights.
11
12 > Suppose the maintainer is unable to test some aspect of the package,
13 > or any aspect of the package? Do we want it to break completely for
14 > ~arch? In that event, nobody will run ~arch for that package, and
15 > then it still isn't getting tested.
16
17 In that event, you will get a bug report VERY soon.
18
19 > I agree that masking for testing is like having a 3rd branch, but I'm
20 > not convinced that this is a bad thing.
21
22 I have to reiterate:
23 * increases the workload, because we are effectively running 3 branches
24 * decreases the amount of testing for that time period, because... it's
25 masked
26 * causes confusion (see this thread)
27 * decreases the quality of our stable branch, because people suddenly
28 expect the unstable branch to be ...stable and don't bother with filing
29 stabilization requests anymore
30 * makes the whole testing/stabilization iteration actually slower,
31 possibly even causing unnecessary exposures to security issues
32 * causes inconsistency, because not everyone actually agrees on the
33 3-branches concept and it was never actually decided to be one
34
35 > Sure, it could go into an overlay, but for that matter so could all of ~arch.
36
37 Not at all. I made a clear distinction for that. Overlays have some good
38 use cases, but even those get abused and we end up with projects not
39 caring to import ebuilds to the tree anymore.
40
41 To make the situation even worse, a lot of people don't mask broken
42 packages if they have ever been in ~arch, as if this is a one-way road
43 from hardmask->keywordmask->stable. No, it isn't.
44
45 > I guess the question is, what exactly are we trying to fix? Even if
46 > occasionally a maintainer drops the ball and leaves something masked
47 > for a year, how is that different from a maintainer dropping the ball
48 > and not adding a new release to the main tree for a year? Would we be
49 > better off if Docker 1 wasn't in the tree at all? If it happened to
50 > have a known issue would ~arch users be better off if some other dev
51 > came along and helpfully added it to the tree unmasked no realizing
52 > that somebody else was already working on it?
53
54 Trying to fix
55 * workflow
56 * user experience
57 * quality of stable branch
58
59 Inconsistent usage of hardmasks is only one problem here, but it is one.
62 So, from my POV hardmasks are reasonable for these use cases:
63 * package was imported to ~arch, turned out broken, bugs are difficult
64 to fix, no improvement upstream
65 * package has security issues, but we don't want it removed (happens a
66 lot for games)
67 * package is known to be broken, but we want it in the tree (like
68 googleearth)
69 * package is a library and is either known to or expected to break more
70 than half of it's consumers
71
72 The last 3 points can, depending on the actual situation, be a good use
73 case for an overlay. Some already do it, including for non-trivial
74 libraries.
77 To make a blunt statement here: many commits in profiles/ cause trouble
78 for the user in one way or another. Some people on the forums already
79 told us they want to switch, because they are sick of dealing with world
80 updates since they seem get more and more complicated. For multilib we
81 have been abusing profiles/ a lot, since there is only one alternative
82 way which is almost impossible to carry out given the large scale of
83 these changes: a parallel branch which gets imported in one blow.
84
85 Profile hackery has to get less. It's not improving user experience.
86 Users are switching to ~arch, because people tell them on IRC and
87 elsewhere that it's "almost stable" and that arch is too slow. That
88 makes the situation even worse.
91 In addition, we should make the most important arch testing
92 points/techniques part of the quizzes and allow maintainers to carry out
93 stabilization on major arches if they have access to them (that doesn't
94 mean they have to, they can still request help from the dedicated arch
95 teams).
96
97 Having no clear release scheme can be neck-breaking for a project.
98 Rolling release or not.
99
100 But I doubt we will come to any conclusion here. This thread will get
101 some bikeshed and if someone really cares, he will bring it up to the
102 council which will basically say "we encourage foo, but allow bar as
103 well and leave anything else up to the maintainer", neither deciding on
104 a real 3rd branch, nor declining it (because if they would decide on a
105 3rd branch, they would actually have to come up with a PMS addition that
106 is sane and not ambigous like hardmasks which are used for all random
107 sorts of things... and don't tell me hardmask messages can be used as an
108 API).