From: rob holland <robh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Weekly News Letter - "Where is Gentoo Linux 1.4"
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:37:00
1 --On Wednesday, June 25, 2003 04:22:45 -0700 Matt Thrailkill
2 <xwred1@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 Firstly, this is not a flame. Please give me the benefit of the doubt in
5 that respect :)
6
7 > Just a meager user comment. I run Gentoo "stable" on my desktop and
8 > laptop, but it seems like things still change a bit too much and too
9 > largely to where I'd feel comfortable deploying it on a server.
10
11 There is no gentoo stable in the same way that Obsd has stable. Obsd stable
12 can pretty much be guaranteed to work and play happily. Ebuilds are marked
13 stable or unstable based on whether the _ebuild_ is known to be reliable,
14 not the package which the ebuild installs.
15
16 There is no indication inside of portage as to whether a program is stable
17 or not, other than extreme cases where ebuilds are masked because the app
18 is very broken. Its not possible for us to say "this is a stable platform"
19 for a gentoo "system" can include any number of programs that we may or may
20 not have written ebuilds for which can affect the system.
21
22 Obsd peeps know exactly what apps are installed in their base system, so
23 they can mark the stuff stable when they're fairly sure the base system
24 doesn't blow up.
25
26 Also, I think you misunderstand "releases". 1.4 is a release of an install
27 CD and maybe GRP. Thats it. It makes no difference to the actual system
28 once you start running emerge sync you'll be back in the same place as
29 someone who installed with a 1.3 install CD and has been running emerge
30 sync.
31
32 Rob
36 robh@g.o / robh:irc.freenode.net