From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: Eugenia Loli-Queru <eloli@×××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GDB/Gnome
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 04:50:15
1 begin quote
2 On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 02:18:32 -0700
3 "Eugenia Loli-Queru" <eloli@×××××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > I do not get a windows list panel on the bottom of the screen, in fact
6 > I get an error message when Gnome starts, and each time Nautilus
7 > starts, I get the History and Sidebar failing!!
8 I thought this was fixed in the latest revision of nautilus, could you
9 please try :
10 emerge -C nautilus
11 emerge nautilus
12
13 and see if it is still a problem?
18 > applications, also have problems. Opening the System Monitor, its
19 > detailed log said that I do not have permissions on
20 > /etc/gconf/blahblah... I think that this Gconf is what creates all
21 > these problems...
22
23 Now this is really obscure, because we just install gconf with the
24 default permissions, no changes or anything there, although we had to
25 manually create the /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory or the installation
26 would fail on some users systems.
29 > Also, I saw that you have changed some default stuff, and I was not so
30 > happy having a pink text view on GEdit :P,
31
32 What? err, I assure you, we do not change the settings for gconf, the
33 only place where we actively change users settings in Gnome2
34 installation is moving GDM to use the default graphical greeter.
35
36 > not having icons at all on
37 > my menus, while I do not get the "home" icon on the desktop, but
38 > rather the "uknown file" generic icon with the foot. The Gnome
39 > terminal starts with no menus by default.
40
41 Gnome terminal starts with menus by default on users systems here and on
42 a clean installation, the no icons seem to be a problem of removing
43 gnome-core at some point, please try :
44
45 emerge libgnome gnome-terminal gnome-desktop gnome-panel
46 those are the packages that contain icons, and should be the ones who
47 interfere with your system.
50 Other users who have recently installed Gnome 2, could you please check
51 if this is the same behaviour that you have?
55 > I compiled Gnome 2.0 the other day on my Mandrake and it did not have
56 > these problems... It had other ones... ;-)
59 ....right now I'm starting to think we have too many configurations to
60 oversee and thats causing us a lot of unnecessary bugs.... I understand
61 RedHat et.al. in their no-support-updates policy.
62
63 //Spider
68 begin .signature
69 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
71 end