From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] package.mask reminder
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:26:50
1 Earlier today I fixed package.mask after a package had been mistakenly
2 unmasked by a dev who was attempting to mask something completely
3 unrelated. Unfortunately he ended up committing the changes that he had
4 made previously made in his own personal package.mask file to CVS. (I'm
5 not writing this message to lay blame; I've made that mistake myself.)
6 Here's some suggestions that can make that error less likely:
7
8 1. Use /etc/portage/package.unmask to unmask things that have been
9 masked in package.mask. Using this file and the associated
10 /etc/portage/package.mask file you can tweak your personal system
11 without ever touching the cvs package.mask file.
12
13 2. Always make changes to a clean and updated version of the cvs
14 package.mask file:
15
16 # cd /usr/portage/profiles
17 # rm package.mask && cvs up package.mask
18 # nano -w package.mask (make your changes)
19 # cvs ci package.mask
20
21 Yes, I know that there are ways to do the rm and cvs up steps in one go,
22 but I personally never remember the syntax, and this works just fine for
23 me.
24 --
25 Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>