From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Gentoo Wiki Project
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 06:34:42
1 Patrick Nagel posted on Fri, 09 Apr 2010 10:42:40 +0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 2010-04-08 19:51 UTC Ryan Hill wrote:
4 >>
5 >> why are we setting up a user wiki when a very popular one already
6 >> exists? it seems like a complete duplication of effort. i'm not saying
7 >> don't do it, i'm just baffled why we would.
8 >
9 > Well, one reason could be, that the "unofficial" one lost its whole
10 > database once, and there were other multiple multi-day outages in the
11 > past. I expect an official Wiki to have a reasonable availability and
12 > not losing most of the content, breaking links all over the net for
13 > months.
14
15 In addition to that, various invitations have been and I expect will
16 continue to be made, to the guy running the current wiki. For whatever
17 reason(s), he doesn't seem particularly interested in running an official
18 Gentoo wiki.
19
20 In some ways I can't say I blame him. There's a lot of politics that goes
21 into anything Gentoo-official, and it's perfectly sane for someone to love
22 Gentoo but have no interest whatsoever in jumping thru all those political
23 hoops he'd ultimately have to jump thru, or being the political pawn the
24 wiki could likely be if it's as popular and useful as people hope.
25
26 Likewise, Gentoo's uncomfortable officially linking to something they
27 don't control in any way, shape, or form (except to the extent that we
28 could arguably pull his domain name for trademark reasons, if things got
29 ugly enough, tho that'd be incredibly bad for EVERYONE, so nobody wants to
30 go there!).
31
32 Regardless of how justified or not those reasons are, they exist, and are
33 a practical barrier to the current wiki and owner becoming the official
34 one. Yet the feeling is, and I as a Gentoo power user agree, we need a
35 wiki that we can officially point to, a place for documentation that
36 hasn't made it thru the formal Gentoo-doc and GuideXML process, and may in
37 fact never rise to that level, but is still valuable.
38
39 Also, there's the licensing issue. The current wiki has a non-commercial
40 clause for its content licensing that doesn't seem appropriate for an
41 official Gentoo wiki. And no one except the individual content
42 contributors can change that, so practically speaking, a new wiki without
43 that clause is needed. Individual contributors can copy their own content
44 over, of course, and other content can be rewritten, but the content
45 cannot be wholesale transferred, nor will it be.
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman