From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 01:51:09
1 On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 11:52:22PM -0800, Greg KH wrote
2 >
3 > Yes, I know all about the firmware issue with media drivers. It's now
4 > resolved and fixed, in two different ways (the kernel now loads firmware
5 > directly, and on older kernels, udev has fixed the issue.) So that's no
6 > longer an issue for anyone.
7
8 The fact that they went ahead with changes, knowing full well it would
9 break stuff, is reason enough to distrust them in future. It should not
10 require a rant from Linus, or a workaround in the kernel, to get them to
11 fix their bugs.
12
13 > It's also a pretty simple set of patches that Gentoo can keep around
14 > if it's really a serious issue for people.
15
16 That may be true today. But as udev gets more tightly integrated into
17 systemd, those patches will become a "dead end", to use Lennart's words.
18
19 > Note, a separate /usr has been broken for a while now, udev is just
20 > pointing the issue out. And again, if you want a separate /usr, just
21 > use an initrd, the solution is simple.
22
23 ???? I have 4 "broken" Gentoo systems running just fine, without an
24 initrd, thank you. There have always been a few edge-case setups that
25 won't work with a separate /usr, without an initrd. What annoys me is
26 this dog-in-the-manger attitude that if a separate /usr is broken for a
27 few people, then by golly, it should be broken for everybody.
28
29 > The fact that Gentoo is alone in wanting to build udev, without systemd
30 > dependencies being on the system, is something that if I were the
31 > systemd maintainer, I would reject.
32
33 There is obviously no point in us continuing this debate. You are in
34 favour of systemd, I am not.
37 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
38 We are apparently better off trying to avoid udev like the plague.
39 Linus Torvalds; 2012/10/03 https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/3/349