From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] USE flags in base profiles
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 16:54:29
1 The following USE flags are enabled by default in our base/linux
2 profiles. I think they can be disabled, possibly turning them on in
3 package.use (or in the ebuilds) if they are important. Yes, no?
4
5 1. USE=cracklib (base/make.defaults)
6
7 This might belong in the hardened profile, but it doesn't do anything
8 critical -- it just enables "your password sucks" warnings.
9
10 2. USE=modules (base/make.defaults)
11
12 This was originally used to enable kernel modules corresponding to
13 linux-mod.eclass, but now the USE flag name is controlled by a
14 variable and isn't guaranteed to be "modules". Two packages use
15 it for things that aren't kernel modules.
16
17 3. USE=session (default/linux/make.defaults)
18
19 Does wildly-different things to the few packages it affects,
20 and never should have been enabled globally in the first place (it
21 was done to enable sessions by default in dev-lang/php).
24 The "quse" tool will show you which packages are affected by each flag.