From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Split ELF Debug (defult or not?)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 17:55:23
Good afternoon,

probably in portage-2.0.54 a patch will be added to emit split debug
info. Having a split debug allows us to retain all the advantages of
stripping executables while gaining the ability to properly debug
executables in bfd aware programs. It's been in testing with a small
hand full of devs and works quite well, but before it's pushed in we
would like to get input from our devs & users.

Would you be willing to give up space in $ROOT/usr/lib/debug for ELF
executables by default in order to aid in better debugging by or do we
want to only emit it when a FEATURE= is defined.

Having a split debug pretty much obsoletes the need to add nostrip to
your features in order to get debug info.

Users wishing to not have debug info can simply add
INSTALL_MASK="/usr/lib/debug ${INSTALL_MASK}" to make.conf or the
environment unless we make it FEATURE based.

I'm in favor of it enabled per default but I'd like to know what you
think and why. (advantages of on/off by default etc..)

Anybody wanting to test or make use of this feature right away can grab
a copy of my prepstrip from
http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/portage_misc/prepstrip and save it to
/usr/lib/portage/bin/prepstrip or patch portage with
http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/patch_overlay/sys-apps/portage/portage-2.0.53_rc7-prepstrip.patch
It requires you merge pax-utils for the scanelf util.

--
Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
Gentoo Linux