From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] chromium-54 needs ffmpeg-3.0.1
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 17:16:59
1 On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 08:28:14 -0400
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Sure, but we're talking about a major version here, and a web browser
5 >> where future security updates need to be deployed quickly. You don't
6 >> want to be stuck figuring out what other ffmpeg API calls were touched
7 >> in the new version while there is some exploit floating around.
8 >>
9 >> It seems like bundling is the simpler solution here, unless the
10 >> necessary patches are trivial. If they're in fact trivial somebody
11 >> can probably just post one and save a lot of speculation. :)
12 >
13 > It depends on the complexity of the patch indeed. We're talking about 3
14 > enum values that were added in ffmpeg-3 here.
17 If that is indeed all this is, then it does seem like a no-brainer...
20 Rich