From: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 10:40:15
1 В Сбт, 05/01/2008 в 18:17 -0600, Ryan Hill пишет:
2 > I don't know, I can kinda see both sides. Alt arches tend to be finicky
3 > so it's important that updates are well tested on them. Also they're
4 > more prone to break during upgrades, not only because they're more
5 > fragile but because upstream is far less likely to have tested on them,
6 > so I can see why having a stable tree is important.
7
8 If this is an issue arch developers should tell us that.
9
10 Problems with having slacker archs are: open bugs in bugzilla and old
11 ebuilds which are unsupported by maintainer[1]. Open bug just takes my
12 time and attention to open it and to find out that we already fixed that
13 bug and wait for arch to take their action. Old ebuilds they leave me
14 without satisfaction and lie to our users - I know that they are broken,
15 but they are still in the tree and are marked as stable.
16
17 Open bugs problem can't be solved until we fix problem with old ebuilds
18 because ordinary for broken/old ebuilds I keep herd/myself in CC of bug
19 until it's closed to drop old ebuild from the tree.
20
21 And for me the problem with old ebuilds could be solved if I could drop
22 keywords from old ebuilds. Then I could remove herd/myself from CC to
23 bug. Also if council decide this way I'd like to see recommendation for
24 slacker arch to drop old ebuild (with none keywords except ~arch) from
25 the tree by themselves as soon as they stabilize new version.
26
27 [1] And security problem could be solved by labeling arch as security
28 unsupported.
31 Peter.