From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git Migration: launch plan & schedule (2015/Aug/08-09)
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 00:10:45
1 On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 7:10 PM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > We have a rule of "one year compatibility period". ChangeLog shows
4 > that git-2.2.0 was introduced on 02 Dec 2014. So pushed commits
5 > can't be enforced before 02 Dec 2015. (And yes, my laptop
6 > still uses an older version, that's why I was unable to find --sign
7 > in the git-push manual.)
10 In general we try to avoid breaking the upgrade path for user systems
11 that only upgrade annually, but no such limitation applies to
12 developers. I don't think it is too much to expect a developer to use
13 a recent version of git. Users don't need git push signing support to
14 use Gentoo.
15
16 By all means debate the importance of the feature/etc, but I don't see
17 a need to freeze any new git feature for a year before making use of
18 it with the gentoo repository.
19
20 If it really bothers you, do your pushes from a chroot. It isn't like
21 I close any gcc-5 bugs with "can't be bothered to look at gcc-5 - give
22 me a call in a year or two."
25 Rich