From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] init script optimizations?
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:33:17
1 On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 11:01 +0100, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > I think we should avoid some long delays during boot, like netmount
3 > needs 30 secs untill it fails or dhcp timeout. These things should be
4 > made configurable or set to 3 sec to avoid a long hang if I am not
5 > connected to the network. This will speed up booting more. And of
6 > course update modules should be configurable with preferrable default
7 > off, because I dont like it to have to manually edit the init.d files
8 > just to get faster startup.
9
10 The short answer: probably not
11
12 The long answer: We try to cater to the majority of our users. The
13 majority of our users use DHCP and modules, so we're unlikely to disable
14 them. Now, I believe that newer versions of the init scripts allow for
15 much more customization of the networking capabilities of Gentoo and I
16 am sure something could be worked out to remove this "delay". At the
17 same time, have you considered a "no-network" runlevel?
18
19 As for the module updates, I agree that something can be done to speed
20 it up or have it only run when needed, but at the moment we do not have
21 a way, which is why we are discussing this now to see if a workable
22 solution can be found.
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Release Engineering - Operations/QA Manager
27 Games - Developer
28 Gentoo Linux