From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 22:14:12
1 > On Sep 14, 2018, at 5:28 PM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 15-09-2018 00:07:12 +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Perhaps, if one persists on going this route, only do this for platforms
6 >>> that upstream supports, such that arches which will suffer from this
7 >>> (typically ppc, sparc, ...) don't have to be blocked by this.
8 >>
9 >> Exactly in these cases the -Werror is useful as if upstream expects no
10 >> warnings then any warning should block installation and trigger bug
11 >> report. In Gentoo in many cases we use packages on platform has no
12 >> access to, our feedback to upstream is valuable. A great example is
13 >> gnutls in which we collectively (maintainer, unstable users,
14 >> architecture teams, stable users) found issues on architectures that
15 >> almost nobody other than Gentoo has access to.
18 > I don't believe Gentoo users are (supposed to be) an extension of
19 > upstreams. If upstreams insist on that, they should make their software
20 > non-free, adding a non-modification clause or something. In any case,
21 > it is not Gentoo's job IMHO. In the end it is Gentoo who needs to care
22 > for its users. I prefer we do that by giving them an option to become
23 > that extension of upstream, e.g. by USE=upstream-cflags, which Gentoo
24 > disables by default.
25 I am in complete agreement on this. Users should not be guinea pigs to help upstream unless they opt into it.
26 >
27 > As maintainer and/or enthusiastic user, like you wrote for gnutls, I
28 > would be more than happy to provide build logs/errors for all the arches
29 > I have access to. So like I wrote before, I think we should consider
30 > case-by-case basis to make it easy to do so.
31 >
32 > Fabian
33 >
34 > --