From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Unified nVidia Driver Ebuild ready for testing
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:47:01
1 Peter wrote:
2
3 >On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 03:16:53 -0600, Dale wrote:
7 >>Niklas Bolander wrote:
10 >snip...
14 >>I have to agree. Do it sort of like KDE, with kde, kde-meta or as
15 >>seperate packages. Have it so you can pull in all three in one emerge
16 >>command but have the option to do it seperately as well. I have only
17 >>emerged glx once and do the nvidia-kernel when I change kernels. I
18 >>really don't have any use for the settings package, as long as my GUI
19 >>works anyway.
20 >>
21 >>Just give us some options. We'll be happy then.
26 >THAT is a very reasonable comment!
30 And maybe a thought as well. It sounds doable to me. Removes foot from
31 mouth. LOL
32
33 >Thank you Dale and everyone else who commented. Please do not think this
34 >was an attempt to shove anything down anyone's throat. It was not. That's
35 >why this thread was started and that is why we wanted feedback.
39 I didn't feel that way. The only rig of mine that uses nvidia stuff is
40 a fast one anyway. It doesn't matter to me but it may to someone that
41 is forced to use a 200MHz rig with only 64MBs of ram. A laptop comes to
42 mind as well.
43
44 >Those who commented that settings and xconfig are optional _are_ correct.
45 >They are in no way required and indeed many people would not use them even
46 >if they could. Since they were so small, I wanted to see if unifying the
47 >ebuilds would make sense.
51 I would not object to the settings package as long as it does not change
52 the defaults when it installs. For me the default works. Why mess with
53 what works?
54
55 Dale
56 :-)
59 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
60
61 I have four rigs:
62
63 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives.
64 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive.
65 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 128MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive.
66 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive.
67
68 All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
71 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list