From: "Wolfgang E. Sanyer" <wolfgangesanyer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Continuous integration on GURU
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 13:01:35
1 On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 8:39 AM Agostino Sarubbo <ago@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On giovedì 22 aprile 2021 12:02:20 CEST Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > Well, I suppose scanning the dev branch would be preferable over
5 > > the master branch. In reality, they are usually only a few hours apart
6 > > but it might be useful to know of new breakage in dev before it's merged
7 > > to master.
8 > >
9 > > It would be ideal if you could do a switch when master and dev are
10 > > in sync, and just copy the state from master.
11 >
12 > Hi,
13 >
14 > I think that your approach could be generally valid but for this use case I'm
15 > against because of the following:
16 >
17 > 1) The approach is valid in cases like our github PRs and the bot that
18 > approves the commit. In this case, who moves the commit between branches does
19 > not know if the scan has been done or not.
20 >
21 > 2) I don't see the reason to scan against something that we don't know if will
22 > be the same in master branch
23 >
24 > 3) We are not doing a similar approach for ::gentoo so I don't see why do this
25 > for GURU since, after all, it is an overlay
26 >
27 > 4) Packages in master are supposed to be tested at least from 2 different
28 > people (who made the commit in dev and who moves the commit to master) so it
29 > means less bugspam
32 Perhaps another approach could be to add a third branch, "staging".
33 Any reviewers could move the appropriate ebuilds to "staging" once all
34 the reviews and discussions are done but before moving to "master"
35
36 In fact, probably a github action could be set up to automatically
37 move to "master" after the CI stuff passes.