From: Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: Josep Sanjuas <kl4rkmail@××××××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Interest Check: Dynamic config files for portage
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:32:58
1 On Tuesday 01 July 2003 16:49, Josep Sanjuas wrote:
2
3 > I think there could be more advantages.
4
5 they dont seem very compelling.....
6
7 > It would make make.conf faster to
8 > parse from scripts,
9
10 There isnt much to be saved.....
11
12 $ time bash /etc/make.conf
13
14 real 0m0.005s
15 user 0m0.000s
16 sys 0m0.000s
17
18 > It'd also make portage easier to maintain, because for
19 > example, if I want to change the disftile or rsync mirrors then I can edit
20 > /etc/make.conf.f/fetch, or whatever its name would be, instead of finding
21 > the appropiate vars in the big make.conf.
22
23 And editing a 250 line file is hard because......
24
25 > In the files, all flags could
26 > have their detailed descriptions, so that you wouldn't need to open another
27 > file eg a make.conf.help.
28
29 I agree that splitting the documentation into make.conf.help would be a step
30 backwards.
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list