From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Old changelogs / eclass dir
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 05:36:25
1 On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 19:46:30 +0200
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Dear all,
5 >
6 > two small suggestions regarding ChangeLogs:
7 >
8 > 1) Why is there no ChangeLog in the eclass directory?
9 > In my personal opinion this is missing there, if only for historical reasons... Should we still start one?
10 >
11 > 2) I'd like to suggest that for changelogs that grow beyond a certain size (e.g. profiles/ChangeLog)
12 > the file is "rotated" similar to /var/log logfiles. I.e. the current file is renamed with a date extension and a
13 > new file is started. This has the benefit that the archived file is static and will never be retransmitted
14 > by rsync.
15
16 I like both suggestions. Maybe we could split by year? That way the old
17 non-conforming entries would just go into the oldest log. Delaying rotation
18 by one year (ie. the first entry in 2012 would cause entries in 2010 to be
19 split off) would prevent getting a bunch of empty changelogs Jan 1st.
23 fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
24 toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime
25 @ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662