From: Paul Smith <pausmith@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:22:29
1 %% Jay Maynard <jmaynard@××××××××.cx> writes:
2
3 >> > On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 02:12:10PM +0100, John Nilsson wrote:
4 >> > > Because of this decision, the GNU system is not the same as the
5 >> > > collection of all GNU software. The GNU system includes
6 >> > > programs that are not GNU software, programs that were
7 >> > > developed by other people and projects for their own purposes,
8 >> > > but which we can use because they are free software." - Richard
9 >> > > Stallman (http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html)
10
11 jm> Stallman's claiming credit for all of Linux, anywhere it appears,
12 jm> just as SCO is climing credot for all of AIX, HP-UX, Solaris, and
13 jm> every other proprietary Unix. None of the distributors you cite
14 jm> are doing that.
15
16 Please show me where Stallman is claiming credit for "all of Linux,
17 anywhere it appears". Certainly not in the text John quoted above.
18
19 In fact Stallman has _never_ claimed credit for Linux (the kernel). All
20 he has done is ask (not sue, but ask) that people use the name GNU/Linux
21 to reflect the huge amount of effort the GNU project has expended over
22 the years that make Linux distributions, including Gentoo, a reality.
23
24 You may not agree with that, but it's his right to make the request just
25 as it's your right to refuse... and no one is going to court about it.
26 And _no one_ is claiming ownership over things they don't own or didn't
27 write, so please drop the SCO flame-bait.
28
29 Here is what the quoted document actually _does_ say about Linux, BTW:
30
31 > Linux and GNU/Linux
32 >
33 > The GNU Hurd is not ready for production use. Fortunately, another
34 > kernel is available. In 1991, Linus Torvalds developed a
35 > Unix-compatible kernel and called it Linux. Around 1992, combining
36 > Linux with the not-quite-complete GNU system resulted in a complete
37 > free operating system. (Combining them was a substantial job in
38 > itself, of course.) It is due to Linux that we can actually run a
39 > version of the GNU system today.
40 >
41 > We call this system version GNU/Linux, to express its composition as a
42 > combination of the GNU system with Linux as the kernel.
46 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××××××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
47 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
49 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list