From: Ben Lutgens <blutgens@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] problems with new install
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:21:45
1 Hi all, I just installed a small system from a running system using
2 sys-i686-20010406.tgz
3
4 I made a fs, mounted it under /mnt and untared that bad-boy from my currently
5 running system, did all the steps in the install doc, did an init 1, then
6 chroot to the new system. I exited chrooted env, unmounted then booted cleanly
7 to gentoo.
8
9 This is when the fun began ( I love this stuff )
10
11 The first and formost thing I noticed was that syslog spitting out errors
12 everytime the logger tries to make an entry (it can't access
13 /var/log/syslog.d/ dir) so I change the perms, now it says it can't lock the
14 dir. So my syslog is still broken.
15
16 Next I try to add a user using adduser and that application won't even run, I
17 get "PAM authentication failed" I did however change roots password and am
18 still able to login.
19
20 I'd really like to get this running at _least_ to a point where I can start to
21 tinker with ports. I don't mind some hacking but I'd think at least the
22 authentication should work on initial install.
23
24 Other than these things everything seems to work fine, but I can't seem to add
25 a user and don't think I'd like to run as root all the time.
26
27 TIA
28 --
29 Ben Lutgens cell: 612.670.4789
30 Sistina Software Inc. worl: 612.379.3951
31 Code Monkey Support (A.K.A. System Administrator)
32
33 Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream